Ideal burnout recovery program; coaching on 15 locations in the Netherlands, plus videochat
Do you want a free orientational meeting about burnout recovery?
Open your heart! Talking, especially to an expert, helps: he / she can accommodate your experience and has the professional listening ear that many friends and family do not have. Contact us for a free exploratory conversation about burnout RECOVERY.
Stichting Burnout prefers to work with A&O (occupational) psychologists aged 50+ who have ever been burned out themselves. So we know how you feel. Having a burnout, there are a lot of precious lessons to be learned from the past that will make your stronger for the future. Contact form
Burnout recocery program/coaching/intervention
In practical terms, our burnout recovery program means:
- 1 face to face session per week
- emphasis on the first 3 months
- enough homework and exercises between sessions
- Burnout recovery expected after 6 months (sometimes earlier, depending on depth of burnout, stress factors employer, private factors, self-confidence candidate).
In our burnout recovery program we learn you to transform you from a ‘FRAGILE PERSON’ to a ‘RESILIENT PERSON’ by looking at all the lessons that can be learned from your period you ‘fell burnout’, in the situations that brought you in difficulties. We use ACT (Acceptance Commitment Therapy), Problem Solving therapy, role playing, stress analysis, mindfulness and other techniques to get back your self confidence and ‘self steering ability’. In more detail we learn you to:
- to take a step back from work and relax
- choose a meaningful and energizing daily routine while you are still sick
- identify the work stressors
- to look for solutions per work stressor: what can be changed, at work, or about your response to that work stressor
- to make an inventory of which things you turn off and which you should therefore avoid
- to learn to listen to your body, which quickly lets you know when you are dealing with ‘energy guzzlers’
- build confidence in the things you CAN do
- how to convince your employer to take energy guzzlers / chronic work stressors. If you cannot convince your employer, we will write and speak to your employer
- to see whether the job and the working environment suit you
- define what you want and what you don’t want
- develop a healthy and happy career perspective
- make a decision with the employer: EITHER there will be changes in the chronic stressors, or track 2: burnout recovery intervention followed by outplacement
- have all supervision paid by the employer (we are good at convincing employers)
- properly substantiate your file (possibly, with a written diagnosis) and to inform the UWV properly, so that the employer MUST cooperate
- avoid returning to work too soon, which would cause you to fear too much and make you fall back into your burnout.
The ideal burnout recovery program
This is our ideal burnout recovery program: SB-2016-burnout-recovery-coaching-method-Stichting-Burnout-UK
This program has its fundamentals from:
- science, especially the writings of dr. Diane Bernier (about what distinguishes a succesful burnout recovery program from a not succesful one) and the PhD work of dr. Rosita Regedanz about burnout recovery – see Google Scholar https://scholar.google.com
- our accumulated practical experience since 2006 (our start), whereby we optimized our program each year.
- incorporation of mindfulness
- incorporation of ACT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy.
You can find our burnout recocery program in Google Scholar, which means it is scientificallyu approved. Google Scholar under ‘Kunst van burnout herstel’ (‘the art of burnout recovery’) and you will find our program in Dutch.
We are good at convincing employers they should pay for our burnout recovery program (as we told earlier on this site, costs are not covered by individual health care because burnout does not fall under ‘individual health’, it is part of ‘work related health’.
We can make our program custom made.
Before SB-2015 and SB-2016 we applied our ’12 steps program’ for burnout recovery, which is available in pdf format: Burnout Recovery 12 sessions UKPh-pdf (1)
Stichting Burnout designed a total model regarding burnout, in Dutch:
Explanation in Dutch: burn-out model.
‘Burn out recovery is as getting the wind back in your sails’
Burn out recovery is often a 6-month process in which the employee completely reorients himself:
- am I really burned out?
- what will the coming months look like for me?
- how did it all come about?
- what have I overlooked, not feel coming?
- what are my own values?
- what are my own limits?
- what am I good at?
- what gives me energy?
- what kind of work context do I need?
- what kind of job do I need?
- what should change at my current job so that I WILL like it?
- is there a THREAT from the employer, or am I actually SUPPORTED to recover and stay?
- what have the ‘energy guzzlers’ been in the run-up to burnout?
- how do I change those energy guzzlers?
- how do I change my relationship with those energy guzzlers?
- can I still do something?
- what are my ENERGY GIVERS?
- how do I build in energy providers at work?
Why not take up work again without burnout recovery intervention?
Too often people think: ‘Have rest for a while, pick up work later’.This does NOT work. You feel some relief at first instance, but you will not heal in longer term. This is why: without external burnout recovery coaching (as done by Stichting Burnout):
- you are still not able to ‘draw your lines’ so you do not become depleted
- you lack insight in your stress factors and energy drainers
- you lack insight in your energy ‘boosters’ or replenishers
- you have not learned to feel your associated physical signals when in disstress
- you have not learned to work ‘organically’, meeting your needs
- you have little idea ‘how to re-organise your work’ to lower distress and enhance pleasure; you need analysis and proposals from a burnout coach for that
- you have little idea of ‘what to kindly ask your employer for’, in terms of job/adjustments on the job/other job, in order to ‘heal’ and not become burnout again.On this page we further elaborate on what is desirable with burnout recovery, and what not. We are going to discuss:
- ‘flanking measures’ – such as ‘sports’ or ‘holidays’ – are always good, but as an ‘addition to’ something that touches the core. Flanking measures alone will not solve the problem.
- ‘gz / ggz pitfall’ – some things you should know about gz / ggz – an industry that does not recognize burnout but likes to make money (and advertise on it)
1. Flanking measures
- living quietly
- doing relaxing thing
- poosje ziekteverlof
- period of 100% sickleave
Why would this not be enough? For the following reasons:
- above activities do not inventarize/pin down HOW THE BURNOUT CAME – and thus you remain totally onprotected for the future. With our BBTI Problem Analysis you can analyze what was hard for you: PA – Problem Analysis UK (overwrite example text and values by own words and numbers)
- flanking measures do nothing about your energie drainers and energy boosters at work
- flanking measures do not deal with your ‘coping style’.
- flanking measures do not deal with the WORKING CONTEXT – the context where burnout arose. Burnout is a contextual illness. You need a burnout coach, burnout psychologists that is very knowdledgable about working contexts and coping styles, to research what happened by hind sight, and to experiment with new behaviour.
2. Pitfall GZ = GGZ
Another pitfall, apart from ‘flanking measures’, is GZ/GGZ, geestelijke gezondheiszorg, psychich health care. This sector is dominated by psychiatry and DSM, Diagnostical Statistical Manual (of personality disorders), whilst burnout is not a personality disorder but a ‘occupational health disease’. That is the reason that GZ/GGZ is a) not reimbursed by health care insurance b) not knowledgable about how to cure burnout.
Quite a lot of GZ/GGZ operate under new flashy websites, attract you with the word ‘burnout’ but intend to change the diagnosis of burnout into something else, in order to be reimbursed. So you come for burnout, but they do not apply the burnout guideline and tests, H&W_NVAB-12_LESA_LR_overspanningburnout, perform other tests and ‘blame’ a personality trait of yours for the burnout. Then they can get reimbursement under the false diagnosis, and you get the wrong treatment, but these organisations get their money which was their main goal. Some employers like these practices, because they obscure the relationship with work, and lower the risk of having to pay bezava in case you are not healthy after 2 years of illness, when your contract is dismantled. Bezava in ENGLISH